Birth Story

Sorry it took a while to write again in my blog!! I took a maternity leave!

At about 9 PM my parents arrived to stay the night at my house to watch my older kids. It was difficult to go to sleep that night. I was scheduled to be induced at 5AM. I was also not allowed to take any medicine so I knew I would have a hard time going to sleep. At 10 PM I ate my last meal, chicken stir fry and talked to my parents until 11 PM. I then laid in the bed until I fell asleep. At 4:30 I woke up to go to the bathroom and then got ready to go.

At 4:45 AM my husband woke up and then we left to go to my scheduled inducement. It was strange driving so early in the morning. The construction workers were out fixing the road and there was no traffic. Only the Steak N Shake was open.

We finally arrived on time at 5AM. The nurses started my anti-biotics for the Strep immediately. My contractions were good but were not in any order. I went to sleep until 7AM when they began the pitocin.

At first the contractions were small and I could talk through them with no problem. My mother arrived soon after and we watched the boring news about the cops catching the polygamist, Warren Jeffs.

They gave me more pitocin and finally at 10:30 AM the contractions were strong. They came every two and a half minutes. I did ok, except I was real hungry suddenly. All I could think about was food. I think my blood sugar fell as well because I began to feel faint. I wanted to eat, but at the same time I felt so nauseous. I started to feel dizzy and weak. That is when the nurse asked if I wanted an epidural. I went ahead and got one.

Getting the epidural was painful because I was having a contraction at the same time I was getting the epidural. I didn't feel the instant relief afterwards either that I normally felt. I still felt my contractions and was still in pain, even feeling when I was getting examined. I also felt a lot of pressure but it was not the head coming out. In fact, I was not dilated much. Because I felt too much pain I got another epidural.

The epidural was TOO strong. I could not feel my legs at all. In the past, I could feel my legs a little bit, enough to hold them up by myself when giving birth. This time my legs were dead weight. They felt like fleshy bags. It was a horrible feeling. I felt more and more weak and nauseous and my blood pressure dropped extremely low. I felt like passing out and I almost threw up. Right about then at 2:40 PM I went up to 10 centimeters. I only had to push a couple of times and at 2:49 PM I finally gave birth to my beautiful baby boy, Aron Bek who was 8 pounds 1 ounce and 21 inches.

He is beautiful, with a full head of black hair and dark skin. We think his eyes may be blue but we are not sure yet.

The first thing I did after giving birth was order some food. It felt so GOOD to eat. I was unable to move my legs well until the next morning.

My two older kids were happy to see their brother and we haven't had any problems. Jon Jon was upset that I wasn't at home for three days but that was all.

Comments

APRIL said…
I've been wondering if you were okay! Glad the birth went well and that you took a leave. I know what it feels like to have a "dead leg" from the epidural. My nurse (and the anesthesialogist - sp???) didn't tell me that I should be rolling over every half hour!!
Aron does have blue eyes!
pharmacy said…
hey that sounds really lovely and pleasant to hear it.. gives s pleasure for pregnancy.

Popular posts from this blog

Husband's Guide to Surviving the Ninth Month

Menstrual Like Cramps in the Ninth Month