Oxytocin and Natural Labor Inducement
1. Causes milk to be "let down" when nursing
2. Causes uterine contractions and cervix dilation. It also causes those painful cramps when you nurse your baby the first week or so.
3. It is secreted during orgasm or nipple stimulation or even during a romantic massage
4. Reduces anxiety and increases tolerance to pain
5. It is sold as pitocin (I didn't know that before)
That is why when you are having pain caused by pregnancy, a romantic massage does relieve the tension. It is also the reason for the rumor that intercourse causes labor to start. (I still don't believe it though, and no I won't try it)So I guess our husbands are our natural pain relievers and labor inducers. They are needed during labor after all!! They can not only be our coaches, but they can give us hugs and rubs during the tense times of labor.
I would like to hear comments from people who know more about oxytocin and know more about biology. This is real interesting to me.
(info from Wikipedia)